Testing Problems & Solutions
Based on the software testing aspects, we categorise most the problems which you can might come across while executing software testing processes and tools.
If you think, the problem which you are facing or have, is not mentioned here, please let us know. We will try our best to provide you best possible solution.
Technical Problems & Solutions
HP QC 11.0: Not able to change the Defect status except Admin?
Problem:While working with HP Quality Center 11.0, Only QC admin users can update the defects status. Testers and Developers were not able to update the defect status, why??
Solution:Finally, I figured it out how to fix this problem. It's the problem with default settings in HP QC 11.0
Follow the steps mentioned below,
1. Log into HP Qualit Center.
2. After successful login, Navigate to project customize page via Tools menu (it is present on top menu, top left side of the web page).
3. Select 'Groups and Permissions'. In the middle pane, you can see QC's default groups.
4. Click on 'New Group' tab to create new group under QATester or Developer (based on your requirements). System asks you to create new group- Click on Yes button. Capture 'Group Name' and set it as QATester or Developer.
5. Add new users to that group.
6. This is an important step: To create rules for this group, Click on permission tab, Select 'Defect' tab and then select 'Status' field.
7. On the right hand side, you can see default rules. As per your need, Create rules.
8. To save captured changes, Click on 'Save' button.
9. Click on 'Return' button, System asks you to save these changes as minor or major, save it as major change.
-----------------------------------------March 11, 2013-----------------------------------------------------
HP QC 11.0: How to Export Requirements from EXCEL sheet?
Solution: Before you export your requirements into HP Quality Center 11.0, you need to have format requirements in your worksheet.
My excel worksheet contains data for columns,
➤ Requirement Name
➤ Requirement Type
➤ and Product field.
Requirement name: Under this column in excel sheet, type the name of requirement that you want to see in HP QC.
Requirement types: If your requirements include multiple requirement types:
- Designate a Requirement Type column. For each requirement, specify the requirement type.
- For each requirement, include data for the required fields of the specific requirement type.
Author: Person who is responsible to create requirements in QC.
Product fields: Under this column, define the product name.
1. If you have not installed QC Excel Addin, then click on Add-Ins link present on login screen of QC and install. Follow below steps to download.
2. After installing MS Excel Add-in, Re-open MS Excel if it's already open otherwise open new Excel with Test data (Test cases) that you want to export to HP QC.
3. Now you can see new Add-in "Export to HP ALM" under Add-Ins tab.
4. Click on "Export to HP ALM" tab, and new HP window pops up (which ask you to enter HPALM server URL).
5. Enter valid user credentials (user id and password) and click on next button.
6. Select valid Domain and Project name and click on next button.
7. Select valid type of data -> Requirements and click on next button.
8. Type a new map name and click on next
9. Select the requirement type and click on next button.
10. Do correct mapping of excel sheet columns with HP ALM,
and click on Export- System should display success message.
11. Open HP QC and see under requirements. Requirements should be exported successfully.
-----------------------------------------March 12, 2013-----------------------------------------------------
HP QC 11.0: How to Export Data (Test cases) from EXCEL sheet?Solution: To upload the test cases from Excel sheet to HP Quality Center successfully, please follow the below mentioned steps,
1. Invoke HP QC (e.g. http://test001:8080/qcbin/) that installed on you're the server.
2. If you have alredy installed Excel Addin for QC, then skip step 2 to 6, otherewise continue,
Click on Add-Ins link displayed on above page and then click on "HP Quality Center Connectivity link displayed on new window
3. Click on "Download Add-in link. Download and install HP Quality center Connectivity Add-in.
4. Now install MS Excel Add-in by clicking on "More HP ALM Add-ins" present on below screenshot.
5. Install MS Excel Add-in.
6. After installing MS Excel Add-in, Re-open MS Excel if it's already open otherwise open new Excel with Test data (Test cases) that you want to export to HP QC.
7. Now you can see new Add-in "Export to HP ALM" under Add-Ins tab.
8. Click on "Export to HP ALM" tab, and new HP window pops up (which ask you to enter HPALM server URL).
9. Enter valid user credentials (user id and password) and click on next.
10. Select valid Domain and Project name and click on next
11. Select "Test" as type of data and click on next.
12. Type a new map name and click on next.
13. Do correct mapping of excel sheet's column with HP ALM and click on Export.
14. System displays success message and you can see test cases should be uploaded to HP QC under Test Plan link.
-----------------------------------------March 15, 2013-----------------------------------------------------
How to unlock the object (TC/defect) from Quality Center?Solution: There are many possible ways, where user can lock his/her test case, defect or requirements while he/she works on QC.
QC amdin can unlock the defect without disconnecting the user by following below steps:
➤ Login To Site Administration
➤ Expand the domain
➤ Expand the project, list of all tables should be displayed
➤ Select the "Locks" Table
➤ Run the query
Delete FROM LOCKS where lk_object_key= (Number of locked defect/testcase/requirement)
-----------------------------------------March 21, 2013-----------------------------------------------------
Automation & It's advantages
Test Automation Framework
Dynamic Management of Object Repositories
Mercury Screen Recorder
Sending Email using QTP
Message Box with Timeout
What is an action template?
Change the Active Screen page which is shown on every new test
How to enter Register Reserved Objects in QTP
Parameterization in QTP
Object Concepts in QTP
Round, Int and Fix & CINT functions
VB script function & variable
Difference b/w Eval & Execute
Trim alternate in QTP
How to use func in QTP?
Run specific Test from QTP at specific time
How to use or call function in QTP?
Copy data from one Excel Sheet 2 another
AutoFit the Cell in Excel while Copying data from one Excel to other
QTP Interview Questions
Automate login page using descriptive programming
How QTP identify an Object?
Difference between QTP 8.2 & QTP 9.0?
New features of QTP 9.2
Find version number of the scripting engine
Configures QuickTest views and panes
Count AddIns without opening QTP
DB connectivity with QTP
Default Reserved Objects of QTP
Why does Jmeter not worki with https protocol?Solution:
You can do recording & load testing on the http protocol application but it is not work with https. Simply, Convert the url https to http & then perform the operation as you want.
Why jmeter is not compatible with .Net application?Solution:
Unfortunately, it does not works well with ASPNET, maybe because postback in the dotnet area are not the same as in the html/java/cgi-bin tradition.In the aspnet area, the page is postback to itself, with a lot of viewstate events fired. it work well if you submit with a browser. But with a stress tool, like JMeter, or OpenSTA, this is not a browser that post a request page, but a piece of software usually running in its own thread.
ViewState: view state is nothing but .net way to keep and maintain the Form data between server request and response. For that there is Hidden text box which keep the all control information in that
Actually All HTML controls are state-less ie -these can not store any type of clients inputs when ever we send the page to server it will send this page as fresh one. so we loose the data what we have entered.
To store all these data (temporarily) in clients browsers, .Net provide a concept that is known as View state .View state store the data in encoding format, so that one can not guess it easily. To retain the STATE of the server side objects BETWEEN postbacks by storing in hidden field on the page.
View state is available – after init() or before Page Load() or before On Load()
The web is stateless. But in ASP.NET, the state of a page is maintained in the in the page itself automatically. How? The values are encrypted and saved in hidden controls. this is done automatically by the ASP.NET. This can be switched off / on for a single control.
A Postback is an action taken by an interactive web page, when the entire page and its contents are sent to the server for processing some information and then, the server posts the same page back to the browser. This is done to verify passwords for logging in, process an on-line order form, or other such tasks that a client computer cannot do on its own. This is not to be confused with refresh or back actions taken by the buttons on the browser.
What is 'Mantis' ?Solution:
MantisBT is a free popular web-based bugtracking system (feature list). It is written in the PHP scripting language and works with MySQL, MS SQL, and PostgreSQL databases and a webserver. MantisBT has been installed on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, OS/2, and others.
Almost any web browser should be able to function as a client. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
What is 'TestLink' ?Solution:
Testlink is a Test Case Management tool
TestLink enables easily to create and manage Test cases as well as organize them into Test plans. These Test plans allow team members to execute Test cases and track test results dynamically, generate reports, trace software requirements, prioritize and assign tasks. Read more about implemented features and try demo pages.
The tool has web based interface with PHP and background database MySQL, Postgres or MS-SQL. It cooperates with known Bug tracking systems as is Bugzilla, Mantis, etc.
TestLink is web based tool under the GPL (General Public license -free to use). The project is maintained by Open community of testers. Many developers on the team hold Quality Assurance Management positions and understand the needs of QA teams. Improve your testing processes and lifecycle with us. TestLink makes Testing process easy and organized.
TestLink is a Web-based Test management and software testing execution tool. The community project is Open Source under the GPL license.
The main features are
• Products tested in Test Plans, according to Standard testing procedures. See IEEE 829.
• Users have defined roles (for example: Leader, Tester, Guest)
• Test cases organized in a hierarchical structure and holds traceable history
• Keyword support, allowing greater depth in test organization
• Testing prioritization, tester-specific assignment, and milestone definitions
• Reporting and test metrics
• Documentation export to HTML, MS Word and MS Excel
• Direct e-mailing of reports from the tool
• Localisation and internationalization (into English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, Czech, etc.)
• Direct collaboration with bug tracking systems
• Requirements-based testing (include SRS repository)
• SOAP API for collaboration with functional testing tools
• Browser: Firefox 1.0 or higher, or IE 6 (not IE 7)
• Database: MySQL 4.1.x and higher; Postgres 8.x and higher; or MS SQL 2000 and higher
• Scripting Language: PHP 5.0 or higher (at least 5.2 is recommended)
• Web server: (Apache 1.3.x or 2.x and higher, IIS 3 and higher)